Ramadan Special: Vermicelli Chicken Soup


Another year passed very quickly and Ramadan is here again. Although I am not particularly the religious type, I can't ignore the presence of the holy month. The culinary tradition of Ramadan is incomparable to any time of the year. The whole month is a celebration of food, drinks and sweets.

Today's dish is chicken vermicelli soup, a firm childhood favourite. Nice and strongly flavoured tangy soup, a perfect start for a Ramadan Iftar evening meal. Outside Ramadan the soup would make an excellent homely starter especially if you have some left over chicken stock and breast meat. Above all, this is the perfect meal if you are not feeling well. If chicken soup is the "Jewish Penicillin" this is definitely its Syrian counterpart.

There are many variations to the recipe. I cook mine with tomato paste and shredded chicken. Some people use meat balls or no meat at all, just nice stock. You can omit the tomato paste if you wish or even fry the vermicelli in a little oil to give them colour and a different flavour before cooking them.

Here is my Vermicelli Soup recipe:

Chicken stock 500mls
Shredded chicken meat, a handful
Vermicelli pasta, a handful
Tomato paste 1tbs
Salt
pepper

To see the Syrian way of cooking chicken and making a delicious stock check my Chicken Fatteh recipe.

Bring the stock to boil. Dissolve the tomato paste. Add the chicken meat and the vermicelli. Cook for 15 minutes until the pasta is fully cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste. The soup will thicken slightly because of the tomato paste but the consistancy should remain fairly runny.

Enjoy!


10 comments:

Dana said...

Chicken soup with tomato paste in it? That sounds worth trying. Yummy!

Kano said...

@Dana

Welcome to my blog. Glad I came across your blog. Somr delicious looking stuff on there.

Give it a go. it really works well.

Brenda said...

This is similar to one of my favorite chicken soup recipes and I too use vermicelli. I always throw some fresh cilantro into it as well as it cooks, which is a more Mexican twist.

Sweet Passion said...

Merhaba,like your site.hope you can vistit my blog at http://smulansbakblogg.blogspot.com
welcome

Unknown said...

Best Wishes for Ramadan,
Great soup!

Noor said...

Asalam Alaykum and Ramadan Mubarak. I love your blog and just found it. I am also a food blogger http://www.yasalamcooking.com/

I am adding you to my blog roll just love your site mashAllah.

Food Jihadist said...

Ramadan Kareem! Looks lovely. We eat a lot of soups during Ramadan.

Kano said...

Thank you very much for the Ramadan wishes.

@Breanda
Thank you for stopping by and welcome to my blog. I just discovered your blog and it is great. I left you the answer to your mysterious Cheese desert.

@Noor
I already know your blog and visit regularly. Really good.

Mr Noodles said...

Syrian noodles - I love it. Are noodles common in the Syrian cuisine. As you guess, I have a slight obsession with noodles.

Kano said...

@Mr Noodles

Welcome to my blog.

We use vermicelli paste for this soup and most importantly to cook rice. Our rice of choice is vermicelli rice.

Post a Comment